Retiree Health Plan Coverage Eligibility
You must be an Active Covered Participant in the Eastern Atlantic States Carpenters Active Plan both at the time of your retirement and the Benefit Period immediately preceding the Benefit Period in which you retire. Participants beginning on or after January 1, 2023 will need to earn 30 Active Health Credits to retire with Health Coverage.
Active Health Plan Credit System
Missed eligibility period (i.e. each eligibility period you did not qualify for coverage, including any Benefit Periods in which you purchased COBRA), you are granted 0 Active Health Plan Credits
*For Participants previously covered under the Philadelphia Active Health Plan prior Benefit Periods earned through “Vesting” or “Basic” Benefit Periods are not considered eligibility periods and you will not be entitled to Active Health Plan Credits for those periods.
Gold Level Retiree Health Coverage
- Retire with Gold Level based on Credit SystemGold Level is the only coverage option for Retiree Health. You are eligible to retire with health coverage if you reach 25 or 30 credits. However, if you retire with 25 to 29 credits, your monthly copayment will be higher than if you retire with 30+ credits.
- 1 Gold Eligibility Period = 0.50 CreditYou will receive a 0.5 credit for every Gold Level eligibility period you qualify for.
- 1 Silver Eligibility Period = 0.25You will receive a 0.25 credit for every Silver Level eligibility period you qualify for.
- Maximum of 1 Credit in a Plan YearThere are two eligibility period in a Plan Year, so the maximum credit you can earn is 1. There is no credit for a missed eligibility period.
Active Health Plan Credit Requirement
Additional Retiree Health Coverage Details
Retirees are responsible for paying a monthly premium toward the cost of their coverage. The required premium is set by the Trustees and will vary based on whether you are Medicare-eligible as well as whether you elect self-only coverage or coverage for you and your Eligible Family Members.
No Retiree Health Coverage
Retirements on or after 1/1/2023 run out benefit period they are in
Retiree Health Coverage
If eligible for retiree coverage (due to hours) - Plus one more active benefit period
In the event a retired eligible member passes away, their surviving spouse will receive twelve (12) months of health coverage from the date of death, and then have the option to pay the COBRA rate for life.
COBRA Rate as of 7/1/2023
- Gold Coverage: $757.10 Single / $1,892.74 Family
- Silver Coverage: $643.53 Single / $1,608.83 Family