Find out what's covered under the Fund's extensive Benefit Plan.
Health Fund Death and Accidental Dismemberment Benefits
If you are an Active Covered Participant at the time of your death, your designated beneficiary will receive a death benefit of $35,000.
Your beneficiary will be responsible for paying any taxes associated with their receipt of this death benefit.
If your eligible dependent dies, you will receive a death benefit of $5,000.
- You may name anyone you wish as your Health Fund Beneficiary at any time by filling out the proper beneficiary designation form, available from the Fund Office.
- If your beneficiary causes your death, no death benefit shall be paid to that person.
- An application must be filed with the Fund Office within one (1) year from the date of death to claim these benefits. If these benefits are denied by the Fund Office, your beneficiary can appeal under the applicable procedures in the Death Benefits Appeals section of the EAS Health Fund Summary Plan Description.
Accidental Dismemberment Benefits (AD) are provided to Active Covered Participants only. If you suffer any of the following losses, on or off the job, through accidental means, the specified benefits are paid to you or your beneficiary.
Loss Suffered and Benefit Payable:
- Both hands or both feet $10,000
- Sight in both eyes $10,000
- One hand or foot and sight in one eye $10,000
- One hand and one foot $10,000
- One hand or one foot $5,000
- Sight in one eye $5,000
If you suffer more than one of the losses described above as the result of an accident, the maximum amount paid will be $10,000.
To be eligible for coverage, the loss must occur within 90 days after the accident.
An application must be filed with the Fund Office within one (1) year from the date of loss to claim these benefits.
Recipient Responsible for Applicable Taxes
The recipient of any Death or AD benefits will be responsible for paying any taxes associated with their receipt of a Death or AD benefit.
Exclusions applicable to Death and AD Benefits
The Plan will not pay a death or accidental dismemberment benefit for loss resulting from or caused directly, partly or wholly, due to you being:
- Intoxicated or under the influence of any narcotic or non-prescribed federally controlled drug or substance; or
- Involved in the committing of a felony.